Tuesday, August 2, 2011

First Weekend

Landed bright and early on a Thursday morning here in Sydney with 3 huge suitcases. Qantas only allows you to check in 2 bags that weigh less than 50lbs. I had 3 and one weighed in at around 70lbs. Needless to say I was over the limit and had to pay an extra $200. Wasn't as big of an issue when I checked in at SFO as I had my grandpa helping me with all the bags. The Sydney airport was another story. I ended up being one of those people I always look at and think "where the fuck are you going with all that shit?"

Having all that shit ended up being a blessing as I got to bypass the long customs line and go straight to the oversized luggage line where they don't scan your bags. Should have tried to smuggle in more food and alcohol items. :-)

Once I checked into my hotel and got settled in I had a lunch date planned with an old friend from SF. Erica has lived out here for the past 4 years and I had asked her to have lunch with me on my first day so I wouldn't feel so alone. It was crazy seeing her after all these years but so great to have a familiar face welcoming me to my new home.  It was gorgeous and sunny out and she took me to a great restaurant on the water. Such a wonderful way to start off my Aussie Adventure.

Here's a pic of the view out of my hotel room



Came into work on that Friday just to meet the team and say hi as I wasn't meant to officially start until the following Monday.

Our office is gorgeous and sits right on the other side of Darling Harbour. I have an easy 15 min walk from my hotel, over a bridge and into our office.



That weekend I ended up just exploring the city by myself. Saturday I took off on an adventure down Oxford street to check out the neighborhoods and shops. Found the Paddington markets where local merchants sell various goods. I also discovered on this Saturday just how horrible shopping in Sydney really is! The prices are so out of control, quality is crap, and fashion is suspect! No matter how strong the AUD is I vowed on that day that I would not be participating in their retail market. Thankfully I was going home in 3 weeks and could buy online to ship back to my mom's.

Sunday was a new day and I walked along the water, under the Harbour bridge and into the Rocks.



There I discovered a random competition for the best waiter where they had to race around some course with a tray of wine. Seemed like a very pointless competition as I don't know what they won besides bragging rights. But of course I had nothing to do so sat and watched both the women and men compete for in this ridiculous competition.


Walked through the Opera House and to the Royal Botanical Gardens where I sat, read and marveled at the fact that I was LIVING in Sydney. Seemed pretty crazy to me at this point. 



Ended my first weekend with a late lunch, people watching and drinking wine at one of the various restaurants on the water by the Opera House. Was there for several hours and was quite annoyed that when the check arrived the waitress decided to let me know that I would have been better off buying a bottle of wine instead of ordering by the glass. Well lady maybe I would have if there wasn't a stigma with a single lady ordering a bottle of wine by herself! :-) Thankfully I don't have to tip out here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment